The estate was classified a third growth in 1855 thanks to the efforts and the vision of Count Dûchatel, who owned Lagrange from 1842 to 1874. He built a network of drains and extended the estate to 280 hectares, including 120 of vines. As Minister of the Interior during the reign of King Louis- Philippe and a member of the Academy of Fine Arts, he spread Lagrange’s reputation far and wide.
In 1983, the Suntory group, the leading Japanese wine and spirits firm, acquired Lagrange and invested heavily in a spectacular renovation. Priority was given to the vineyard, followed by refurbishing and modernising the vat room and cellars. The efforts undertaken in the 1980s continue to the present day: work in the vineyard is done with great attention to detail and each plot is treated individually. The grapes are then fermented separately in order to fine tune and obtain the best possible final blend. The resulting wine is powerful, elegant, and the epitome of a great Saint-Julien.